Saturday 20 March 2010

www.icantbelieveivejoinedadatingsite.com


PART 1: *Sigh*

I’ve done it. I can’t believe I’ve joined a dating website! It’s called SikhFaces.com. A handful of my friends have signed up and didn’t really give it a second thought. “Hey, it’s no big deal,” was the impression I was getting.

I explored the site, it’s almost on the same page as Facebook; after going through the initial process of setting up a profile and uploading a respectable photo (no, not one where you’re drunk in a club with a super mini skirt on!) you’re free to message people who you think could tick your boxes.
It’s quite a challenge to describe your ideal soul mate though, what if they just don’t exist?!

I have to admit, it took me a lot of persuasion to join. These kinds of sites were once taboo and people were almost embarrassed to admit they’d registered with one. The uncomfortable, awkward self-consciousness attached to these sites has vanished now. But when you take a step back and think about it, you have nothing to lose really. It’s difficult to meet people on the same wavelength as you in your everyday routine, so if someone is but a mere click away, then why not? What do you have to lose? I’ve recently realised that the journey we all take to take to find your soul mate could be quite an interesting and open-minded one. I’m no expert at the whole dating scene so this could be quite funny….

So who is a click away?

I received messages from guys who thought they were compatible with me. It was the usual, “Hi, you seem interesting do you want to tell me more about yourself.” They seemed ‘normal.’ But let's forget about those run of the mill messages for now. I started to really question what the hell I was doing on a site where people with the name of 'devilish' and 'prince charming' started messaging me, more than once. They can’t be serious…can they? I mean, I know it's good to stand out and be individual, but come on! Do these people really think they would be taken seriously with those names?! It made me squirm; it made me feel anxious about the weirdo’s out there on the other side of their computer screens!

Shortly after I left the site...do you blame me?!

1 comments:

HARVY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment