Monday 7 June 2010

Domestic violence against men by Harvy Matharu


MEN are just as likely as women to be victims of domestic violence in the Cannock area. The British Crime Survey figures for the West Midlands show that in 2007/08 - a higher percentage of men, 5.4% were victims of partner abuse than women 4.9%, aged between 16 and 59.
Across the Staffordshire area, there could be a higher number of silent victims too afraid to speak up.

Diane Yates, domestic violence coordinator from Cannock Chase Council, revealed that Cannock has the highest incidents of domestic violence within the Chase Division. She said: “It is a hard for any victim to report domestic abuse; they usually hope things will improve. They often feel they are to blame for the abuse. Male victims sometimes feel they will not be believed on the grounds that men are viewed stronger than women.”

I found a Facebook common interest group which stems from the West Midlands, called ‘Stop domestic violence against men.' A male victim posted a comment within the group of his traumatic experience. He said: “I am a male victim; my ex-girlfriend and her boys were abusing me for nearly twelve years. I ended up self-harming myself, I cut my left arm with knives, pen and hitting myself and broke my jaw, I ended up in hospital after I took tablets, I nearly died of overdose. I hit the wall all the time, because she was treating me badly and her sons as well, she wouldn’t move out from the house four years ago. Now they have moved out and I am very happy. When she came home from pubs, she always hit me for no reason, I couldn’t hit back because she is a woman. To all males, do not suffer in silence and we are not alone.”

If you are the victim of male domestic violence, contact victim support on 0845 30 30 900.

(A feature I researched & wrote for the Cannock Chase newspaper 2009.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment