Wednesday 23 June 2010

N*E*R*D = Musical genius...my muse.


FUNK rock, mellow beats, sweet soul and perfect lyrics = the genius that is N*E*R*D. From the second their performance came to life, loyal fans at the HMV forum in London didn’t stop to catch a breath as they rocked along with the band.

The three piece band, Pharrell Williams, Chad Hugo and Shae Haley are unstoppable. If you’ve loved their vibe and aura ever since they splashed onto the music scene back in 2002 with their album In Search Of; then their latest album Seeing Sounds will definitely not disappoint. Each track sets free the addictive and overwhelming unique beats, thought provocative contagious lyrics and distinctive instrumental fusions. They refuse to be categorised into one genre. To hear and see their creation, from past to present, was truly overwhelming, out of this world, amazing and quite possibly one of the best moments in my life…(yeah I know I sound like a nerd) especially as I’ve been waiting to see them in the flesh since In Search Of. I’ve fallen in love with the band & what they’re all about all over again!

I am SO HAPPY I finally saw them...it was well worth the wait. To be honest, I'm pretty impressed with the shots I managed to capture, especially as I was squashed near the front in a mosh-pit! You can probably hear me singing too in the background in my videos...I couldn't help it..I got lost in the moment...!

Their beautiful album is a melting pot consisting of songs which keep you clinging onto their every word. Lovebomb is dramatic, epic and the title itself is a symbolism of two very powerful or destructive words, like a nightmare eating up a dream. If you want to read deeper between the lines, the song is an anti-war song, indirectly singing about how we need to pull together, open our eyes and realise that the Government isn’t always right or isn’t always leading us onto the right path.

The album has definitely moved on with the times; it’s aware of the world we’re living in now and I’m sure it’s loyal fans have played and re-played each song over and over again. I know I have. Some of the songs reflect sounds of the 60’s & 70’s pop metal, such as Windows, which is fundamentally about a peeing tom with oldskool handclaps & vocals. Sounds scandalous but the music drowns out its initial meaning. It skips between various themes and issues, in which its listeners can most definitely understand, get lost in or relate to. You have to unravel each song through its layers.

Crashing down can be broken down…life isn’t always going to be sugar coated and full of sunshine. Quite evident as the end of song instrumentally goes passionately wild and crazy with an outbreak of drums and guitars-like the human emotion of screaming releasing all their frustration and anger. One of my favourites from the album in which I listen to loudly on my 7am drive to work every morning.

What I love about N*E*R*D is their adventurous streak, they experiment with different sounds & beats, their ‘gangster’ lyrics are merely mocking those in the hip-hop scene and each lyric can have more than deeper meaning attached to it. They appeal to people who feel like they don’t quite fit in with the rest of the sheep in society. They have so much substance & there is no-one out there who even comes close to them. Their sound is simply irresistible...

0 comments:

Post a Comment